HERITAGE

The Historical Heritage of Craigberoch

It’s All in the Name

Our land has been called…

Craigbirach by the Roy’s and Craigbeeroch by the Fowlis’ in the mid 18th Century

Creigbhioraich by the McLea family to then become Craigbiroch in 1869

Now we call it CraigBEroch since the decelerator was founded in 2019

 

It was called this name even through the many pronunciations since they all mean ‘a sharp, jagged or pointed rock’ referring to the neolithic Standing Stone that predates all our recorded names for this land to ~2500 B.C.E

The Standing Stone

 

At the center point of the 5 acres of Craigberoch is a neolithic Standing Stone that is over 4000 years old with carvings on it from the early inhabitants of Bute from the Bronze Age onwards.

What the Experts Say

Included in a national heritage study of the stones and cairns of Bute and the other islands of Scotland. Recorded with the Historical Scotland the site and the stone have yet to be assessed by an archaeologist which it will once we begin excavating the decelerator and incubator. 

Jessica Herriot is an keen island historian and amateur archaeologist who calls Bute home and has visited our Standing Stone to tell us more about it in early May 2019

The Battle for Barone Hill

A well documented battle by Scottish inhabitants of Rothesay occurred in 1334 between the forces of the Governor of Bute, Sir Adam Lisle, and those of Edward Balliol comprising many men from Bute.

Taken by surprise by Sir Lisle’s forces, Balliol retreated from Rothesay to an old fortification first built in the Iron Age on the hill by Craigberoch, from this higher ground the men of Bute managed to defeat the invaders in a fierce battle documented in the annals of local history.

Rothesay Castle

“one of the most remarkable in Scotland”

Maurice Lindsay, author of The Castles of Scotland


Owning a long history dating back to the beginning of the 13th century, this Scottish Castle with a board moat has an unusual circular plan for its day. comprising a curtain wall that is strengthened by four towers, it was built by the Stewart family and survived the Norse attacks to become a royal residence till the 17th century.